Medicare Locals Boundaries Review
The national network of 61 Medicare Locals are a key component of the National Health Reform agenda, which provide better health services and a strong local focus for Australia’s health system.
The review of Medicare Local boundaries undertaken in early 2011 took into account several factors including alignment with Local Hospital Networks (LHNs), natural population catchment areas, configuration of health services and patient referral patterns between services.
The review also took into account the level of support for the previous boundaries with the review being completed in consultation with state and territory governments. Additionally, around 70 submissions were taken into account as a part of this review.
The revised boundaries include additional Medicare Locals in New South Wales, Victoria and Western Australia, as follows:
- north eastern Sydney and northern Sydney in New South Wales by splitting the Northern Sydney Medicare Local;
- Macedon Ranges & North Western Melbourne and South Western Melbourne by splitting the Western Melbourne Medicare Local;
- Goulburn Valley Medicare Local by splitting the Hume Medicare Local;
- Kimberley-Pilbara and Goldfields-Midwest areas of Western Australia by splitting the Country North Medicare Local; and
- Rockingham-Kwinana- Peel and Bentley-Armadale by splitting South Metro Medicare Local in Western Australia.
Medicare Local online Map LocatorThe Department has developed standardised information accessible to all Medicare Locals. The information includes Medicare Local Profile reports; information on social determinants of health, significant areas of disadvantage and some MBS item and GP workforce data.
Maps by State
- New South Wales (PDF 2181 KB)
- Victoria (PDF 531 KB)
- Queensland (PDF 440 KB)
- Western Australia (PDF 380 KB)
- South Australia (PDF 268 KB)
- Tasmania (PDF 443 KB)
- Northern Territory (PDF 279 KB)
- ACT (PDF 248 KB)
Maps by metro area
- Metropolitan New South Wales (PDF 1920 KB)
- Metropolitan Victoria (PDF 496 KB)
- Metropolitan Queensland (PDF 291 KB)
- Metropolitan Western Australia (PDF 284 KB)
- Metropolitan South Australia (PDF 287 KB)
Digital boundary files
- Digital boundaries in ESRI Shapefile format (Zip 26,295 KB)
- List of Local Government Areas and Statistical Local Areas for each Medicare Local in Excel format (Excel 611 KB)
- Medicare Local - Postcode - Concordance (Excel 137 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGC SLA 2006 - Concordance (TXT 109 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGC SLA 2010 - Concordance (TXT 100 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGC SLA 2011 - Concordance (Excel 275 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGCCD 2006 - Allocation (CSV 1303 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGSSA1 2011 - Concordance (Excel 5740 KB)
- Medicare Local - ASGSSA2 2011 - Concordance (Excel 391 KB)
The Tobacco Plain Packaging Information Kit provides practical information on the responsibilities and obligations of retailers and other suppliers of tobacco products under the new Tobacco Plain Packaging Act 2011.
eHealth.gov.au is your gateway to Australia's personally controlled electronic health record system, linking you to information about eHealth records and the system itself. Visit www.ehealth.gov.au
On 20 April 2012, the Prime Minister and Minister Butler unveiled a comprehensive package of reforms to build a better, fairer, more sustainable and more nationally consistent aged care system.